The North Shore Fisherman's Cabin
Size –3 Bedrooms • 2 Bathrooms 2 Baths • Sleeps 3-6
We do not use Craigslist or accept papal.The 'North Shore Fisherman's Cabin' is a restored historic commercial fisherman's home built of logs around 1900. You are right in the heart of town within a block of everything- yet comfortably removed when you need a breather. We are less than 100 yards from the water. There are 3 well appointed bedrooms, 2 full baths, a huge dining room, a roomy pine living room with gas woodstove fireplace, a front cedar porch, and a natural slate patio. The original log home with it's well appointed kitchen and huge dining room is the core of the structure. The logs for the Cabin were hand hewn a century ago and show the broad ax marks from the original fisherman builders. The kitchen is thoroughly modern with stainless appliances, solid maple counter tops, and a two level snack bar. The property was completely renovated down to it's bones from 2003 to 2007, using recycled or repurposed materials wherever possible and is now a highly energy efficient home. The walls are adorned with local art and mementos of the great age of commercial fishing and logging here in Grand Marias. Many of our guests ache for a connection with nature (with high thread count sheets), reconnection with each other, and permission to come to a full stop for deep rest. No one says this out loud, but we think that’s their intrinsic motivation. The view of the old harbor from the living room and the deck is stunning. There is also a view from the 3rd bedroom deck. Seagulls and fog greet you when you rise. The grounds of the property are planted with a variety of native and boreal flowering plants, flowering shrubs and fruit trees. It is a garden like setting with various perennial, annual, and produce plantings. The waxwings regularly invade the ash trees, along with fiercly dueling ruby throated hummingbirds. Please, no parties or large gatherings with non guests. We love dogs. Dogs are allowed at this property with acceptance of our dog rules and payment of the fee. The base rate includes 6 people.
Please give us a call if you have any questions.
We do not book on Craigslist and we do not use PayPal.
Todd and Susan Miller
PS: We are implementing an incentive for you to choose trip insurance. We have discounted our rates on our direct website here by an additional 7% (the total savings between our direct site and say... AirBnB is now 14-21% only if you book on this direct site). We are doing this so that you may select trip insurance during your booking process. It will be offered to you while you are completing your booking and they charge 7%. We do not make any money on that. In this time of Covid-19 cancellations have been so rampant as conditions improve and decline as to jeopardize our ability to remain in business. The cancellation policy we have had for 10 years is as follows:
You may cancel within 48 hours of your booking for any reason. After that you can cancel with a 10% penalty up until 60 days prior to your arrival. After that you may cancel but your deposit can not be refunded.
If you have trip insurance you can be reimbursed according to which policy you chose. And we are subsidizing it for you by having reduced our rental rates well below any other rates where our properties can be found. It's up to you, pocket the savings and run the risk of cancellation, or still get some savings and have the peace of mind of having some of your investment in your vacation protected in case of unforeseen events. Here is a link to the insurance company, otherwise it is all presented to you when you book so that you can make an informed decision at that time: https://cdn.orez.io/sc/content/docs/RentalGuardian%20-%20Overview.pdf?v=0116da11ea74cfb3b939b87f3a2c5dc676da5f83
About the OwnerThe owners and managers of the Fisherman's Cabin are Todd and Susan Miller. Susan is originally from Duluth Mn and Todd from the Twin Cities. They have sailed the world's oceans together on their 35 foot sloop 'Snow Day', and have now settled down here in Grand Marais since 2003. Todd is a licensed Captain, and served on the local park board and planning commission for many years. He is also active in community projects with area youth and founded the Grand Marais Music Collaborative, a 5013c non profit focused on raising funds for music lessons for area youth. Susan is the Special Education teacher at the local charter school. Todd's interests include leading a local dance band, building and restoring fun things, messing about in boats, and managing Real Estate. Susans interests include gardening, thrift store exploring, and cooking. They both love to travel and learn.
5/16 - 11/1
|$429||$499||$2,910 to $2,986||
July 4th time period.
7/1 - 7/5
July/ August rates
7/1 - 8/31
Fisherman's Picnic 2022
Aug 3, 2022 - Aug 9, 2022
10/20 - 5/15
|$289||$329||$1,998||$8,541 to $10,003||
Christmas & New Year - 22/23
Dec 22, 2022 - Jan 3, 2023
12/24 - 12/26
Cancellation Policy: Ninety percent (90.00 %) of the total booking charges will be refunded if the cancellation is made more than 60 days prior to the arrival date of the reservation. For cancellations made within 60 days prior to the arrival date, no refund will be issued.
Rates include 6 people, a 7th or 8th person may be added at $30 per person per night. Dogs are allowed at this property with acceptance of our dog rules and payment of the dog fee of $100 per dog. Infants up to 24 months are free, children at 25 months and older are charged at the same rate as adults. No wedding/ birthday gatherings with non guests or parties of any kind without a discussion with the owner and a negotiated event fee in advance. Maximum 8 humans in this home of any age. Book directly for the lowest possible price by booking here on Grand Marais Vacation Rentals.
RENTAL RULES- All rules must be shared by the group leader to all guests.
1. Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the property.
2. People other than those in the Guest party set forth above may not stay overnight in the property. Any other person in the property is the sole responsibility of Guest. No parties are allowed. No receptions, the property is not a home base for other guests of the region such as those camping who need showers etc…
3. All of the units are privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
4. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order
5. Only use appliances for their intended uses
6. A Dog is permitted with the acceptance of the dog rules and the payment of the fee. Pet addendum is listed below. Pets must be crate trained.
7. Parking: Parking is limited to 2 vehicle(s). Vehicles are to be parked in the designated parking. Any illegally parked cars are subject to towing; applicable fines/towing fees are the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner. Additional vehicles can be parked on 4th Ave West.
8. Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. We suggest you bring beach towels if you intend to swim or attend the local pool. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the units.
9. Storms/ family emergencies: No refunds will be given for storms or family emergencies. We highly recommend four wheel drive during the snow months. We do not refund due to road conditions. If you are concerned about the health of a family member or a potential conflict with your reservation we recommend purchasing travel insurance which is offered during the reservation process.
10. WAIVER OF LIABILITY/INDEMNIFICATION
Tenant and Residents will make no claim against owner or its partners, owners, employees or agents, for or on account of any personal injury sustained, or loss or damage to any property caused by fire, water, deluge or overflow, or explosion, how so ever arising or for the loss of any articles by theft or any other cause. Tenant hereby expressly waives any and all of such claims against owner. Further, Tenant shall indemnify owner and its partners, owners, employees and agents, and hold them harmless from any claim or damage arising out of any injury, death or property damage arising out of any injury, death or property damage occurring in, on, or about the Premises.
Dog fee and details- must read:
We want to be accepting of dogs. We love our dogs. But if we incur property damage from dogs we will remove ourselves from accepting dogs. Most vacation rentals in our region do not accept dogs and we want to keep this option open. Our future is up to you. If you love dogs and dog culture, please be a good ambassador of dog culture and let’s keep this good thing going.
Only dogs- no other animals- are allowed with an acceptance of the pet addendum and pet fee of $30 for one dog. Guests will receive a pet fee request once the reservation process is complete and prior to arrival. Guest will need to approve reservation alteration with included pet fee. Up to one very well behaved dog up to 60lbs and their owners that are in agreement with our policies are welcome. If the dog is over 60 lbs or if there is more than one, Guests will provide to owner the following information: Type of pet, Name, Weight, Age and owner will confirm or ask questions. So send us a message and we will get back to you right away. If your dog is not habituated to portable kennels please contact us.
All pets must comply with the following specifications: A) Must not exceed 60 lbs unless approved B) Must be at least 1 year old C) Must be up to date on rabies vaccinations and all other vaccinations. Heart worm preventative is highly recommended.
Other important pet requirements:
1) No dogs can be left unattended for any length of time without portable kennels. Pets can get nervous in new surroundings and cause property damage with scraping, urinating, and can cause irritation to neighbors with barking or howling when you leave for dinner etc... If you have any issues with keeping your pet in a portable kennel please let us know. If your dogs are not comfortable or have not been habituated to a portable kennel you are perfectly welcome to put your pets in the car with you when you leave as long as it is not too warm out- which rarely happens in Grand Marais.
2)Your dog is never allowed off leash. Grand Marais has a leash law, and we have busy roads nearby and resident dogs on all sides that do not need the provocation.
3)Please clean up after your pet immediately, do not wait until you are completing your stay. Garbage cans are available on site. Do not let your dog do their business right near the home or near the sidewalks, and especially not on the corners of the home, the fences or rock walls. Try to get off property when doing business.
4)There are many great walks for you and your dog, if you need tips let us know. But just going down to the harbor is a great treat for most. Taking them just up the hill to the grassy curbside areas is a quick way to take care of business and is popular with the doggos. And if you want some space for them to run off leash there is a dog park up the hill. Ask us how to find it.
5)No dogs on beds or furniture without a clean, freshly washed blanket that you provide that they can’t scrape away. We use quality quilts and bed coverings and very expensive sofa material and dogs can not be allowed to scratch it and claw as it instinctively as they prepare to lay down.
Thanks so much for your respect and consideration. We would love to meet your dog!
Travel insurance- a more popular option than ever before in these uncertain times! If booking direct you are saving roughly 12-15%. Travel insurance costs between 7 and 9.8%. You can still come out ahead and be fully insured. Or, if. you are confident (and we really hope you are) just pocket the savings and treat your group to a good dinner when you get here. But please don't just book some dates and then cancel and assume there will be a refund- you must make the correct decisions now that suit your comfort level.